Dr. Samantha Johnson is a physical therapist at Physical Therapy and Vestibular Rehabilitation Fort Worth located in the Fort Worth ENT building.
She earned her Doctorate in Physical Therapy (DPT) from the University of the Incarnate Word in 2015 and entered the profession of Physical Therapy to pursue her passion for helping people live life with reduced pain and improved function.
Sam became interested in Physical Therapy as a young athlete playing soccer in Austin, TX. She played in a very competitive environment which led to overtraining and several overuse injuries. Sam discovered that helping patients navigate their training regiments and taking care of their bodies was a growing passion after many fractures/tears of her own and spending a lot of time in PT clinics. She went on to play collegiate soccer at the University of the Incarnate Word for 4 years and was selected to play professionally for the Houston Aces for a short period of time.
Sam took her first Physical Therapy job in Austin, TX at Champion Performance PT where she was previously a patient and tech. It was during this time that she started to treat vestibular conditions and post concussion cases since athletes commonly suffer from concussions and short-term dizziness. As time went on, she grew more passionate about treating complicated cases. She now treats patients that have vertigo, gait and balance deficits, autoimmune disease, hypermobility disorders, neurological disorders, headaches and migraines, TMJD, and complex orthopedic cases.
Sam spends a lot of time researching the most recent and innovative treatment interventions to stay up to date because furthering education and continuing to learn and grow as a practitioner is important. She completed her first publication in 2018 with plans to continue to educate sports physical therapists (SPT), physical therapy assistants (PTA-kinesiology), undergraduate students, and supporting personnel in a positive learning environment.
Past times that Sam enjoys includes outdoor activities and spending time with her spouse and their 2 Australian Shepherds. They enjoy visiting national parks, traveling to new places, hiking, kayaking, listening to live music, and watching movies. As much as they enjoy being on the go, they also enjoy spending time at home. Sam enjoys working out and cooking new recipes.
Samantha Johnson, DPT – Curriculum Vitae
Enthusiastic team player, deeply committed to delivering quality care as a Physical Therapist for vestibular, orthopedic, and neurological cases with an emphasis on manual physical therapy. Able to perform evaluations on complicated cases and form a quality POC containing patient centered goals. Desires to continue education and work in cutting edge environment.
American Physical Therapy Association (APTA)
Powell, C.J., Jensen J.L., Johnson, S. Functional Performance Measures Used For Return-To-Sport Criteria in Youth Following Lower Extremity Injury. Journal Of Sport Rehabilitation – 2018 Nov 1; 27(6):581-590. doi: 10.1123/jsr.2017-0061. Epub 2018 Oct 11.
- Quality patient care emphasizing manual physical therapy
Skilled in-patient assessment and differential diagnosis
- Strong patient relations
Focus on patient centered goals
- Deep understanding of Neurology Orthopedic injuries
Vestibular and balance disorders Pediatric injuries Return-To-Sport
Physical Therapist 12/2020 to Current
Fort Worth ENT – Fort Worth, TX
- Supervises fellow Physical Therapists, clinical students and support staff, including certified and licensed assistants, technicians and volunteers Specializes in treating neurological cases and conditions including vestibular disorders
- Treats cervical and lumbar dysfunction, orthopedic injuries, and TMJD
Curnyn Physical Therapy – Fort Worth, TX 3/2017 to 12/2020
- Specialized in treating neurological cases and conditions including vestibular disorders
- Treated cervical and lumbar dysfunction, orthopedic injuries, and TMJD Performed evaluations and re-evaluations and developed plans of care that encompass functional and patient centered goals
Champion Performance Physical Therapy – Cedar Park, TX 05/2015 to 03/2017
- Physical therapist in a Sports Medicine/Orthopedic Outpatient environment Regularly performed evaluations and re-evaluations and developed plans of care that encompassed functional and patient centered goals
- Treated neurological cases and conditions including TMJD and vestibular disorders
Professional Soccer Player – The Houston Aces – Houston, TX 04/2013 to 08/2013
Performed in training sessions and competitive matches across the USA
Attended youth training sessions and public events to raise awareness and promote the Aces
Physical Therapy Technician – Catz Physical Therapy – Austin, TX 08/2008 to 08/2012
Assisted in carrying out therex portion of the patient’s POC
Helped with insurance verification, patient scheduling, patient documentation, and front office activities
Skills and Technical Trainer – Avila Creative Soccer – Austin, TX 05/2010 to 08/2011
Led private and group soccer training sessions during the summer for youth players at a variety of skill levels
- Doctorate: Physical Therapy 2015, University of The Incarnate Word – San Antonio, TX
- Bachelor of Science: Rehabilitative Sciences University of the Incarnate Word – San Antonio, TX 2012
Continuing Education Coursework
July 2016: Institute of Physical Arts- Functional Mobilization 1
Professional Practice Education
- 6 weeks (July-Aug 2013) Select Physical Therapy, Houston, TX; Clinical Instructor: Amreen Ali, PT, DPT; Area of practice: Outpatient Orthopedic Methodist Hospital, San Antonio, TX; Clinical Instructor: David Darby; Area of practice: Acute Care
- Integra Physical Therapy Pflugerville, TX; Clinical Instructor: Pricilla Hall; Area of Practice: Outpatient Orthopedic
Catz Physical Therapy, Austin, TX; Clinical Instructor: Christie Powell; Area of Practice: Sports Medicine/Outpatient Orthopedic
- 2012 (one day) – Del Webb Health Fair, San Antonio, TX. Administered functional reach testing to prevent fall risk for the elderly
2012 (51 hours) – Dell Children’s Medical Center, Physical Therapy Dept, Austin, TX. Volunteered as Physical Therapy Technician
- Special Olympics, Women’s Soccer, San Antonio, TX. Participated in activities for youth with disabilities
2010 (5 weeks program) – UTEP Autistic Sports Performance, Austin, TX. Facilitated strength and endurance activities in a healthy environment for youth with autism
- 2007 – 2008 – Volunteer Assistant Trainer, Catz, Austin, TX. Helped trainers design workout plans and schedule classes
2006 – 2008 – Volunteer Physical Therapy Tech, Champion Performance, Austin, TX. Helped Physical Therapists with front office administration and patient care 2005 – 2007 (summers only) – Volunteer Skills Trainer, Avila Soccer, Austin, TX. Taught and encouraged kids to be confident, active and passionate about soccer
Fluent in English and Spanish